I love making fresh juice cocktails! They are much tastier than cocktails made from a mix, plus it can just be fun to whip something up from scratch! These margaritas take a bit of work (considerably less if you have an electric citrus juicer), but I think it’s worth it for the fresh juice, and no weird ingredients or chemicals (not to mention the added sugar) of a margarita mix.
You can make these spicy with the jalapeños, or leave them out and just use salt on the rim if you’re not into spicy cocktails. If you just want the flavor of the jalapeños without the spice, just remove the seeds before adding the jalapeño slices, and let them soak for longer before serving.
Jalapeño margaritas (makes 6)
Juice of 6 limes
Juice of 4 naval oranges
1/4 cup agave (or more)
1/2 cup tequila
2 slices of jalapeño (with seeds)
1 tsp chili powder
Sprinkle of ground red pepper or cayenne
1/8 tsp finely ground salt
- Mix together juices, agave and tequila.
- Drop in jalapeño slices and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl or salt rim dish, combine chili powder, ground pepper and salt.
- Using a lime slice, go around the rim of each glass to dampen them. Dip and swirl each rim in the chili powder mixture.
- Fill each glass with ice and pour your juice mixture over the ice. Garnish with a lime slice.